Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Crisp December Day in San Francisco


This morning I woke up feeling like I was back working for my old job. The feeling was scary, more scary than not knowing where I would be landing the next day. You may wonder why I would have this feeling considering all of the other things that I have been encountering lately. The reason why I instinctively thought of my old work is because I woke up in an unfamiliar hotel room in a location that was foreign to me.

My previous career had me traveling quite a bit so I became accustomed to awaking in hotel rooms and not knowing where I was. However, because I haven't been in a hotel since the day that I was laid off, I was startled by my surroundings. Once I realized that I was indeed not working for that organization any longer, I was able to slow my breathing and my panicking subsided.

Not having to impress anyone, I put on my cap and walked out the door to check out what the free breakfast options were. I was surprised to hear that I was too late. "But it says free continental breakfast on that sign right there!" I exclaimed. "It's right there!"

"I'm sorry sir, but it is 12:30 in the afternoon. You are two and a half hours late for breakfast," said the clerk behind the counter trying to hold in his disdain inside for patrons such as myself. When he said this, I looked at my watch confused because this is when I always get up. I have never been a morning person and always do my best work late in the afternoon and into the early hours of the next morning.

"But this is my breakfast time!" I exclaimed again to the clerk but there was nothing he could do for me. As I turned around and began to walk out of the front doors onto the street, the clerk called towards me.

"Sir! Wait just a second." Not sure what I had done that would require me to wait, the curiosity got the best for me and I stood still as he ran towards me with outstretched arms holding a clear wrapper with a cheese danish inside. "I found this in the back, it's not much but I thought that you could use it better than I could."

Touched, I thanked him and walked outside onto 7th Street into the clear brisk winter day and smiled. I am learning that simple gestures, simple interactions with other human beings, positive thinking and having a good sense of humor is priceless. With a little something in my belly, I walked the City for hours enjoying the people and sights and interestingly enough I noticed buildings and artwork that I had never noticed before. There was another lesson that I learned today, move slowly and be still from time to time. It is such a simple thing, yet I forget to do it almost every single day. From now on, I am going to be still in the moment and enjoy the time that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment