Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Best Day of Birth


When I had no where else to go and was quickly running out of cash, two of my most favorite people in all of San Francisco opened their home up to me. Phil and his wife Julie took me in for three nights in their amazing condo in the Mission just bordering the Castro. I love coming to visit them because, well, both of them have so many amazing stories to tell and we all have a strong affinity for rock n' roll and the Beatles.

What is even more amazing is that they opened their home to me in a time that was difficult for their family. Phil had just had an invasive procedure to attempt to cure prostate cancer and Julie had just gone on a series of interviews at the A.C.T (American Conservatory Theatre). Ironically, this is the same theatre that my father had worked for in the late '60s.

I have never felt so completely blessed and welcome in a home, especially when the circumstances of their lives were so trying. While today is my 32nd birthday, they put themselves before me and took the time to order pizza in and bring me a cake with candles to blow out while they sang "Happy Birthday." I honestly can not remember the last time that I have had a birthday cake and I was at a loss for words. I know that my time spent with Phil and Julie was not easy for them, and for that I am forever grateful and in debt. However, I do know that their hearts are bigger than they give themselves credit for and that I cannot wait to be able to return the favor and pay it forward.

I'm happy to say that Phil is recovering well and that Julie has aced the interview at the A.C.T. Just by the fact that when you walk into their home you are greeted by over 120 playbills from her father in New York City seems fitting enough that Julie will get the job and that Phil will be on his way to recovery.

Thank you Phil and Julie. You two mean the world to me. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment