Friday, January 22, 2010

So What's Next?


I received a phone call the other day from my new filmmaker friend that I had written about previously. I was excited to hear about her new projects and what would be next for her. I hoped that I would be able to get some insider information. However, while we did talk about what things she would be working on next...she was more interested in discussing what I would be doing next. I was stumped actually. I knew what I wanted to do but for some reason I have been having a difficult time figuring out how to get "there" in the last month or so. I asked her...how the heck do I do this? How do I make this work? Her response was something so simple and something in which I have been meditating on for the last couple of days.

"All you have to do is just show up," she said.

It sounds so easy, but when one has so many ideas in their head...so many projects that they want to work on it's often difficult to figure out where to start. Just show up huh? That's the least thing that anyone can do when tackling a new creative endeavor so this is what I am going to do. Just show up. Knowing that I just need to show up everyday and work harder and stronger than I have ever worked before is comfort enough.

So what's next for me I ask myself? ...I know that I need to just show up but now show up for what?

How about this...

Finish up that pesky first book that is almost done...it's so close and get it to the editors so that it can finally get published.

Set aside second book for the time being to focus on the first project.

Dust off the first ten pages of a screenplay that I started awhile back and revisit that story...pitch it to my new filmmaker friend. :)

Continue to write freelance articles to make some more dough. Post more ads online...and send out more writing samples to potential buyers.

Whew...I think that this will keep me busy enough for the time being...so now I'll just have to show up. I don't think that I want to miss out on this appointment...

No comments:

Post a Comment