Friday, November 27, 2009

Countdown: Less Than 48 Hours to Go

It all comes down to this, the next few days where I pack up all of my life, put all of my possessions into storage somewhere on South Van Ness Avenue and move out of my apartment. It’s not that I don’t enjoy my apartment or even dislike the neighborhood that I live in; it all comes down to simple economics. I really don’t have any other choice. While I barely stayed awake during my microeconomics class in college with all of those graphs, diagrams and numbers, I did remember one valuable concept, supply and demand. I had ample supply of what I thought were ingenious anecdotes and writing samples, however, unfortunately there wasn’t as much demand for my musings as I had hoped for. Thusly, I have found myself at this important juncture in my life where I leave everything behind except for my brand new backpackers backpack and hit the road for a while.

One of my most favorite literary heroes would be proud of me if he knew of the journey that I was about to embark on, and for some reason, I wish to please Mr. Jack Kerouac with my decision to go ‘On the Road.’ I might even end up riding the rails just as he did, hoping to emulate his life experiences. Without the dying at age 47 from substance abuse of course but I think that you get the idea though. I’m turning 32 in a few weeks so I hope that I have longer to live than that. He did write some damn good novels based on his experience though, so maybe I can do the same thing. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that some good will come out of this, but most likely, it won’t matter because I know that this adventure for myself will do nothing but good. I can feel it in my bones and most importantly in my heart.

Eric has graciously agreed to drive down to San Francisco to help me with my move into the storage space and I can’t even begin to explain how grateful I am for his help. It actually makes this transition much less lonely, which will be a good start for my journey.

After all of my things are safely secured in storage, I will take my backpack and search for a place to sleep for the night. This shouldn’t be that difficult here in San Francisco because as long as I don’t find myself sleeping in Golden Gate Park with hippie has-beens, living in a tent and smoking a bowl, I should be just fine. From this point on, I will do my best to make periodic updates as to my whereabouts and the adventure that I am excited to begin. Much love and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment