Sunday, February 20, 2011

Red

I love the streets,
Damp, wet, full of red paper
Vacant store fronts resembling my
Life and unsuspecting apartments above

With families.

You smoke weed?
You gotta an extra needle?
You have 23 cents?
I'm hungry
I need a drink to stop shaking
Can I have your short?
You gotta?
You gotta?
Come on man...

Not with gas prices like this and have
You heard about the price of kumquats these days?
I read that congress said something about something
But we'll all just have to wait.

I used to believe that they were looking out for me
That's what I voted for
But I'm stuck as a 99'er and I'm scared
Of the color red

Chairman Mao would've been proud he said
It's spinning and spiraling and I can't afford to go
To General even though I want to, no need to
But I still love the streets

Think global
Think local
Think passion
Think no fear
Think peace
Think prosperity
Think justice
Think, just think

But I still love the streets

It's the only place where you can see
Reality and not the reality of CSPAN
Congressional hearings, which are supposed
To make me feel cared and protected for

You filibuster fucks

Where were you when she lost her job?
When she had to feed her kids,
When she transitioned from General Assistance
To prison and prostitution?

Is your budget balanced now?
Say War
Say Drug War,
Say Blackwater
Try to locate all of our current wars on a map

Did you forget the streets?
Right here...
At home, in your neighborhood
Or has supply and demand economics
Trumped your compassion for humanity?

Don't worry, I still love the streets

But I'm more cautious now
More complacent now
Feel more alone now

For One Shot Wednesday

6 comments:

  1. blistering...just the way i like it...yeah i love the streets as well...and congress just got a pay raise as we wait...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Scathing critique of the modern world, and a sort of coming-of-age right in the work itself. Interesting to see how the views grow, age, bitter as the lines trail on, as the world enters, and a world becomes more knowledgeable of just how things works...Powerful, very powerful. And by the way...they said something about something? I thought they just organized committees to investigate ways to say something about something. Guess they're a little more productive than I thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah!!! great portrayal... I enjoyed your words...
    Lovely...


    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/02/whispers-tanka-and-search-for-being.html
    Connect with me at Twitter @VerseEveryDay

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great journey. Safe travels and keep these poems a coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the anger, the frustration, the sarcasm...a very good current socio-political commentary! My favourite lines..says it all
    Did you forget the streets?
    Right here...
    At home, in your neighborhood
    Or has supply and demand economics
    Trumped your compassion for humanity?

    Cheers
    Padmavani

    ReplyDelete
  6. It spits, but feels lonely too. '...I love the streets...Damp, wet, full of red paper...', great image!

    ReplyDelete